Sunday, August 17, 2008

Aug 17 - I believe God

Today's passage shows a clip of George Mueller's faith. Then we read in Acts 27, a clip of Apostle Paul's faith. What treasures we have in the lives of those that have gone before us in faith.

What I know of George Mueller, to date, comes from a children's picture book. Yet, every time I read it, I get goose bumps and tears in my eyes. "At ninety-two George Muller died while sleeping peacefully. He'd helped ten thousand orphans through his life, which we can see was lived as an example of what each of us can do--If we will put our faith in God and let Him use us too. Whever God may lead us, whether it be near or far, as George discovered, through one girl: be helpful where you are." (George Muller: Faith to Feed Ten Thousand by Renee Taft Meloche)

In Acts 27, we read of Paul as the leader on a ship destined for destruction. He does not out-rank the others on board, in fact, he is a prisoner. But the difference between him and the other passangers (with the exception of Luke who is recording the event) is that Paul has HOPE. And in the absence of assurance, when those on board are desperate, their eyes turn toward the one who has HOPE. What else do they have? Their choice is clear: death or HOPE. [I am reminded of a young athlete who day after day would dispute the gospel with my pastor, who at the time was the young athlete's coach. One day, he ran to my pastor (his coach) and declared that he had proof that there was no God. He explained with excitment his reasoning. The argument he presented paled in comparison to the real issue which was presented by my pastor in this way: "Why are you so excited to prove that you have no hope?"]

Verse 29 says that those on board 'prayed for day to come.' "Some Bible versions use the word wished instead of prayed, but the Greek word that is used always implies prayer (Disciplers Bible Study, 2001)." These men on board were actually praying with Paul, soldiers, crew and prisoners, alike.

Mueller, likewise, found his hope in prayer, and in faith that could move mountains (in this case fog). He tells the captain, "I have known m Lord for 57 years, and there has never been a single day that I have failed to get audience with the King." While we can each and every one of us say the same thing, do we? Do we revel in the fact that we 'get audience' with our Lord every time we seek Him. That He has and will never turn us away. What a cause to rejoice. How many times have you called a friend, a place of business or even a family member, and found that you were unable to 'get audience' that minute, hour, day, week, etc. But with our Lord, we have audience even when we have no clue. God said, "Consider my servant Job" because God Himself 'considered' Job. Likewise, He 'considers' us. We must make time to 'consider' Him in return. It is shameful for me to think of how much time I spend actually 'considering' God. Thankfully, God has blessed me with family members and friends who love to talk about God, who help me to keep God at the forefront of my thoughts. (thank you mom, Edie and Suzie) Nevertheless, I fall short. I know by His word, that I am not alone. We all fall short...and therefore, the CROSS.

Lastly, as I read today's Streams passage and Acts 27, a particular chorus rang out in my ears. It actually, began yesterday and now I realize its signifigance. You see, yesterday was my grandmother's birthday, although she celebrates in heaven now. But, when she was still here, she would break out in hymn every time I saw her...every time. So, in her memory, I leave you with the chorus that has been ringing in my ears since yesterday, and so fittingly claims these passages in Streams and in Scripture.

When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word, What a glory He sheds on our way! While we do His good will, He abides with us still, And with all who will trust and obey. Trust and obey, For there's no other way to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Not a shadow can rise, Not a cloud in the skies, But His smile quickly drives it away; Not a doubt nor a fear, Not a sigh nor a tear can abide while we trust and obey. Trust and Obey, for there's no other way To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

But we never can prove the delights of His love until all on the altar we lay; for the favor He shows and the joy He bestows are for them who will trust and obey. Trust and Obey, For there's no other way to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet, or we'll walk by His side in the way; What He says we will do, Where He sends we will go, Never fear, only Trust and obey. Trust adn obey For there's no other way to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey."

2 comments:

Edie Guess said...

look at you - good job dear friend posting again!

Thanks for the hymn at the end - it speaks volume and I will sing it all day!

cool dat! said...

Great to hear from you. Your thoughts and observations are much appreciated by your friend in TN.