Wednesday, January 9, 2008

January 9 - Suffering Toward Perfection


I loved the story of the moth becuase we (humans) are far too shortsighted. We seldom see the big picture. Especially in the culture we live in. Fast food, fast fun, fast communication...there is very little time to pause and look toward the future. My dad used to tell me, "If you want something done, do it yourself." In addition to that he would tell me, "Don't do a "mickey mouse" job." Together it meant, if you want it done, do it and do it right. So, I go through life doing what needs to be done. If there's a job to be done...do it. I can easily see myself looking at the cocoon and saying, "oh, just let ME do it for you." And, then there would be the poor broken moth. Never able to live up to its capacity. Have you ever said, "I wish I could be sick instead of 'so and so' or "I wish it had been 'so and so' who 'such and such' instead of 'so and so'." We are putting our thinking before God's knowledge. It is a sneaky deception creeping into our hearts in which we assume we know who could have benefited more from the situation.

"False Tenderness" was a phrase that struck me between the eyes. Anything with the word "False" attached to it is repelling...false teacher, false prophet, false accusation, etc. It's as if you don't want to have anything to do with it. But, how easily we can be guilty of false tenderness, as described in the previous paragraph. The pretense of being sympathetic and instead blasphemeing God's perfect purpose/plan/glory. I have decided that any words of compassion not drawn from one of God's 66 infallible books of The Bible are 'false tenderness.' For we have nothing to offer from ourselves. It is only God through us that can comfort.

This week, as I have hushed my new nephew's cries on many occasions, I have often thought of C-bug crying on her 10th bday. She cried out for her daddy while her mom and I held her...never once telling her "shhhhhhh." It was hard for me to hold a crying child and not hush the tears. How often our weak minds want to "hush" suffering...cut it short...put an end to it. But it has a purpose. Tears are as important as a smile or hearty laugh. God has called each of us to different circumstances and we each have a different capacity of emotion. It is all a part of His plan to carry out His glory. We must not hush suffering or try to cut the moth out of his cocoon. We must watch and learn...and endure.

Lastly, I have often thought, would Sixbit have wanted it any other way? Were death to knock at the door, would he have wanted his wife or children to have taken his place? NO and YES. He would have not thwarted God's plan...for such was his character. He, like Abraham, would have obediently offered up any of his family members including himself to please His Heavenly Father. Who are we to judge what God should do...who are we to say "it's not fair." Who are we to try and take away the suffering that our sister and her children endure? We must be a source of encouragement for them. Continually praising their reliance on God's strength. Do not cut away at the cocoon, or the means by which they are growing and struggling toward God, instead sing hymns to them, send scripture, read the Bible aloud, hold a hand, hug without hushing...let tears fall, cry together. Praise together...this is how we encourage one another...not by silence, not in quiet places...
Live Out Loud
Love Out Loud
Praise Out Loud
Encourage Out Loud
He is the same, yesterday, today and tomorow
AND HIS MERCIES NEVER END

2 comments:

Edie Guess said...

I love you!!! How beutiful! You have such a way with expressing beautiful godly insights. thank you for your encouragement.

Jan said...

Wow, wow, wow! What a beautiful lesson. Pinky-I adore you and hurt for you.

What amazing and loving friends you have! I wish I had know Sixbit-sounds like an amazing man of God. I look forward to meeting him one day.