Monday, December 3, 2007

December 3 - It is well

Today's devotion lingered. It permeated through my soul. I carried it with me everywhere I went. My soul was leaning today...leaning toward grief. Today is Pop Pop's birthday...or, would be his birthday. He would be 63 today. He would still be very young. I reflected today on how our lives have all changed since he went Home. Nothing is the same. Everything is different.


When reading the poem at the end of the devotion today, I thought of Pop Pop's beautiful rose garden. He cared so much for his garden. He was so diligent and he took such pride in tending to the needs of his plants and flowers. He cared for them with purpose. He knew that he could bring beauty from them.


And, that is how he took care of us. He could see our potential when we couldn't or we doubted. He encouraged us. He made us feel like we were capable of greatness. He made us feel loved and important. He tended to us and cared for us until we produced beautiful fruit. And then, he was the first to praise us. He was always waiting to commend us, to say, "Way to go! I knew you could do it. I believed in you."


So, that said, here is today's poem...and I dedicate it to Pop Pop...


E'en for the dead I will not bind my soul to grief;

Death cannot long divide.

For is it not as though the rose that climbed my garden wall

Has blossomed on the other side?

Death doth hide,

But not divide;

Thou art but on Christ's other side!

Thou art with Christ, and Christ with me;

In Christ united still are we.

No comments: