Tuesday, December 4, 2007

December 4 - The Calm




"The lake must be calm if the heavens are to be reflected on its surface." At the end of the summer, we took a family vacation to Lake Arrowhead and to Arkansas. In both places, we visited lakes and marvelled at the beauty of the scenery reflected in the lake. I watched as a solitaire hawk glided along the tree-line. I thought of his view and the breathtaking sight it must be. We have such views from the 'skylines' of scripture. Do we plunge into the Word with that kind of anticipation? Do we look to see what God has waiting for us in the reflection of His thoughts. And then, do we walk out our front door with that Word hidden in our hearts to reflect that beauty to others?




As a child in Costa Rica, we lived in the capital city of San Jose. It was noise and bustling. But...once a month, we would drive up into the mountains for a church service in Zarcero. These are some of the fondest memories I have. The drive and its beauty. I remember a field that we would pass and it was filled with wild flowers (yellow-my favorite color). I would close my eyes and see myself running through those flowers. I could taste the flowers with my eyes closed. I could feel them brush my face. I could see the insects fluttering off of them as I burrowed through their resting spots. What a vivid imagination a child has.

When did I stop closing my eyes and imagining? Today, as we go into our duties and tasks, may we make time for our spirit to "yearn for the hilltop's air." Dwell in His presence.
(photo of lake in Arkansas; photo of fields in Zarcero)

No comments: