Tuesday, November 13, 2007

November 11 - Rain on mown grass


"O Soul, thou hast been mown!"
I like how Meyer compares our growth to cutting grass. It is a very visual passage and I could really see the picture of what he was talking about. I could almost smell the freshly cut grass...the rawness of it all.
In the poem, the stanza that stood out to me was:
"Who shall hush the weary spirit's chiding?
Who the aching void within shall fill?
Who shall whisper of a peace abiding,
and each surging biillow calmly still?"
I pondered the passage "who sall hush the weary spirit's chiding?" and thought of how easily I give in to ruminating; dwelling; obsessing. When I get weary...I ruminate. But then there is the contrast in the "whisper of a peace." I beleive that peace is often much more attainable than I ever grasp. If only I would listen more closely and hear the whisper more often.
Today, I told my daughter, "When I say, 'It's time to go,' you need to hurry." But why is that!? I wait until I must be hurried. I am training my child to hurry and not listen for the whisper either. If I do not change, she will carry on this bad habit and I will have failed to teach her how to BE STILL and know that HE IS GOD.
p.s. I am current in my reading but I am behind in posting...what's your excuse ? :)

2 comments:

MARCHELLE www.CandyWrap.Jamberry.com said...

BTW, the photo is of F. B. Meyer. I thought it would be nice to have a visual with the authors.

Edie Guess said...

I did not like this one because of the "rawness" of it all! Actually, I too, could visualize and almost smell the fresh cut grass- which is what i feel like- and it reminded me of the fact that in order to be beautiful we do need to be mowed every now and then.