Wednesday, November 14, 2007

November 14 - Leaving Fruit Behind

It is true that some saints are taken from this world at such a young age and others at ripe ages. What is important to note is the effect that the saint left behind in this world. Sometimes, the impact of a long, aged life is no different than a saint who left this world early on. This is sad. We must always stive to leave our mark each day. Live today as if tomorow is not an option. My grandma had a plaque on her wall when I was a child. It was right above the table where each meal was eaten. I read it at breakfast, lunch and dinner. I would always ponder it and try and make sense of it. It read:

"Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

It means that we start fresh each day. A new opportunity to glorify Him. I like the thought but I believe it would be more potent if it read:

"LIVE today as if it is the last day of your life."

Click HERE to go to a page about David Brainerd, the missionary to the American Indians mentioned in today's devotion.

Click HERE to go to a page about Henry Martyn.

1 comment:

Edie Guess said...

Definitely - live as though today is your last. Get the fullness out of each and every moment. Like you said before - slow down, get out of that hurry mode - until you are able to do this very thing you will miss some of the things that God has for you. Don't miss it! We can't take anything with us when we go but what we leave behind is important! I think that the great inspiration of a songwriter Randy Travis (hee hee) once said in a song "I guess it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you,
It's what you leave behind you when you go".
My 2 cents